Thursday, July 12, 2012

If I had a million dollars

Remember that song by BNL from the 1990's?

"If I had a 1,000,000 (If I had a 1,000,000)
I'd but you a house ( I would buy you a house)
If I had a 1,000,000 (If I had a 1,000,000)
I'd buy you furniture for your house ( maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman)
If I had a 1,000,000 (If I had a 1,000,000)
I'd but you a K-car ( a nice reliant automobile)"
  

It's fun to imagine what you'd do with a million dollars.  Maybe pay off your mortgage, go on vacation, quit your job or even buy some slick new wheels like a K-car.  A million dollars is a lot of money to an adult, probably at the same magnitude as $20 to a 6 year old.

Last year my 6 year old son was at the local Farmer's market where he found a $20 bill.  He looked around to see if anyone had dropped one, but couldn't find the owner.  When he got home he was very excited about what he was going to buy with the $20.  Maybe some toy spiders (he loves spiders) or a book about spiders (again, the boy likes spiders) or possibly a t-shirt with a spider on it (spiders are a big deal, you get the picture). 

Although we didn't want to burst his spider-bubble, we felt this was a great teaching moment for him.  We explained to him that the money, even though he had found it, wasn't really his.  Someone had lost it and was likely missing it.  We told him that the right thing to do would be to turn it in to the Police Department so in case the owner was looking for it, they could find it again.  He was reluctant to give up the $20 because he was seeing eight legs and spider webs by this point.  Once we asked him how he might feel if HE lost $20 and couldn't find it because someone else took it for their own, he changed his mind.  We were trying to debunk the "finders keepers, losers weepers" theory. 

He hoped that if someone found something of his, they would turn it in so perhaps it could be returned to him.  I loaded up my two boys in the car and we drove to the village Police Department.  We walked into the building and went up to the window where there was a Officer standing there.  He asked how we were doing and if he could help with anything.  My son held up the $20 and said, "I found this."  The Officer smiled, I think because of the insignificant amount of money that $20 is to an adult, and knowing it was a lot of money to a kid.  We filled out a form, handed him the money.  He said that if no one claims it, then the money would be ours.  He then gave both boys "Junior Police Officer" badges that they proceeded to wear nearly everyplace they went over the next 2 days.

My son asked several times over the following days if the Police would call and tell him the money was his now.  Eventually, he forgot all about it as did I.  1 year later, I got a voice message on my phone from a Detective at the Village Police Department asking me to return his call.  When you get a voice message from a Police Detective, you return that call quickly which is what I did.  He was calling to say that no one claimed the $20 and the money was now ours.

How excited my son was when I told him about the $20!  Dreams of spider merchandise began to dance through his head once again.  I packed up both boys again and drove to the Village Police Department.  We met the Detective, signed some papers and he handed my son the $20.  The detective told us about the "Found Property Law" and that we had waited the required length of time after turning in the money, so it was now ours.  We chatted with the Police Officers for a few minutes more and the boys inquired about a jail.  They wanted to know if there was one at this Police Department.  Sure enough, there was and the Officer asked if the boys would like to see it.  Sure enough, they did!  So after a tour of jail, we went home, $20 in hand. 

Once home we divided up the $20 into his 3 money jars, "Give", "Save" and "Spend".  Then my son gave his little brother some of his money because he wanted to show his little brother about doing the right thing.  

Although my 6 year old was "rewarded" for doing the right thing by getting the $20 back.  He learned that very lesson a year earlier just after turning it in.  "I hope the person who lost the money calls the Police and gets it back".  He also said it felt good knowing that the person might be able to get their money back.

Of course we had to go to the store and buy a toy spider with his "Spend" money.   
"Try to live in peace with everyone, and seek to live a clean and holy life, for who are not holy will not see the Lord.  Look after each other so that none of you will miss out on the special favor of God"
Hebrews 13:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment